11.02.2011

Waste Not Wednesday: Joy Germs

I was going through some of the footage of the Zombie Fashion Show I was a part of a week ago. I came across this clip, and cringed.





Ugh. ew. who laughs like that? so awkward. so loud. so obnoxious. I thought back to previous times I have watched myself on camera. And always the same reaction. "EW". How can people stand that? I am such a loud obnoxious human being.

But Later that night, I went into my place of employment, grabbed a beer, sat at the bar and started having a conversation with a co-worker. Something made me laugh, and I can only assume it sounded something like this clip. Instantly another of my co-workers quickly turned his head-realizing only by the sound of my laughter that I was there- and let out a somewhat mocking impression of it, and then smiled a big fat cheesy grin. (this particular co-worker of mine is in the very regular habit of mocking my laughter on a daily basis)

Only a few days before that my boss was mentioning how she always knows when I am working, because she can hear my laughter in the back room. (if you understood the noise level & layout of this particular alehouse I speak, you know how much of a feat that really is).

After all this I, of course, start thinking back to past jobs where boss's & co-workers have said similar things. "we always know when Emily is around, you can't miss that laugh anywhere." I've always been aware that I am a loud individual, and that I have a very boisterous laugh.


I am not so narcissistic as to sit at home and analyze the sound of my own voice and the reactions it causes in the world- usually. But in doing so this day, I came to a conclusion that I will now wrap up in a cute little package with a pretty pink ribbon, just for you...


WHILE I am laughing I don't think about how I sound in the slightest. Because the mere fact that I AM laughing, means that I am filled with joy. And that laughter is how I am expressing my joy. And while it might seem (and it did for a while) that when my co-worker mocks my laugh (ps-he's not the first one to ever do so) that he is making fun of me, and maybe I should be offended (me?never!)- the truth is that after he mocks my laugh, he lets out his own brand of laugh. I gave him the joy bug. You see, Joy is contagious. (google it)


Proof:



The point behind all this nonsense is this: Laughter & Joy are not meant to be analyzed. They are meant to be shared.

And if you care about what you look/sound like when you laugh- you're missing the point.

My joy is a gift that I give through my laughter. And embarrassment can't keep me from sharing it with the world....


AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!




1 comment:

  1. Pem- as a girl who is not only a loud laugher, but also a fan of loud laughing, know that it IS a gift. And, I would always rather be known for my laughter than for being a monster. You're a gem, Emily!

    ReplyDelete